Friday, August 21, 2009

Leap and the Net Will Appear

Confession: I've been feeling pretty blue.

We moved into a place we couldn't quite afford because places we could afford were total dumps and/or refused our cats. So, we found a broker that worked with us because she "had a good feeling."

Still, my one class at the local college doesn't pay all that much, no matter how excited I am to do it. I knew I'd need to find more, and I called other campuses (all full), and filled out applications at the local temp agency, scoured the local paper and craigslist. Since Patrick's school year's begun, I've been home a lot, shopping at thrift stores (free bread on Tuesdays) and worrying about health insurance.

I've been praying a lot since we got here. I've always talked to God, but lately it's taken on a different intensity. Prayers that everything would be okay, that we wouldn't have to mooch off our parents. Thankful prayers, too. Thankful that we are together and happy, that Patrick enjoys his job, and that the people here have been welcoming.

Yesterday, my prayers were answered. And do you know, it coincided with my vowing not to spend the day on the internet? :) I received 3 job leads!

1) The local temp agency came through. Following a background check, I should be working with the Crime Victims' Compensation Unit with the DA's office in Glenwood Springs. It will be a tough job: lots of paperwork, dealing with victims of violent crimes, but I think I can do it. If anything, it will be a good challenge. Also, the hours are billed as flexible, so I can take Mondays and Thursdays off there to focus on my class. It's really a great fit and the people seem really nice.

2) Once I got home from the job interview, I checked my email and found a request to do an interview for an online class through University of Phoenix. The catch: it's an art class. Apparently, as far as they're concerned, anyone with an advanced degree in humanities can teach any humanities course. I figured, what the hell? Mom's an art teacher, I can do this. The lessons are predetermined, so I'll facilitate and happily accept the paycheck.

3) After I spoke to my mom and Aunt Pat on the phone about my new opportunities, I putzed around, waiting for Patrick to get home. After he did, I checked my email again. The instructional chair at the local college said their current English Comp class was full, and they needed to add another section ~ would I be willing to teach another class Monday nights?

Patrick & I discussed my new opportunites, and agreed it would be best to turn down Phoenix, so as not to bite off more than I could chew. Sure, the extra money would be nice, but we'd be in good shape already between the office job and 2 English Comp classes. Any more than that, and I'd likely burn out and it wouldn't be fair to students.

In one day, life got infinitely rosier. What followed was much dancing around the room to Jason Mraz, tears of joy, and prayers of thankfulness. The Universe heard me, and responded in spades. My heart is joyful, my blues are gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment